Thursday, September 4, 2014

Moving To Cambridge....


Hey Friends!

God has given me an awesome opportunity to move to Cambridge, England this September 21, for six months to attend a Discipleship Training School through Youth With A Mission (YWAM).  A Discipleship Training School (DTS) is the first step to become a missionary with YWAM.  Every missionary with YWAM has to attend and complete a DTS.  It is a program to train and build up future missionaries in order to send them out into the nations.  YWAM believes it is important to spend time becoming educated and focused on what you will be doing once you are sent into the field on outreach. 

For example, a person who is going into medical missions would spend a few months learning the procedures they will carry out during their time in outreach.  They will also be taught how to integrate the Gospel into their interactions with the people they will be serving.  The Discipleship Training Schools focus on five key features:

1.     “To GATHER and CHALLENGE people to worship, listen to and obey God, releasing them (in the context of the DTS) to serve through evangelism, intercession, acts of compassion and other expressions of God’s heart for the world, possibly even pioneering new ministries.
2.     To INSPIRE and CULTIVATE growth in one’s relationship with God resulting in Christ like character, which is based on a solid Biblical foundation, the work of the Holy Spirit and the personal application of Biblical truth, especially concerning God’s Character, the Cross and empowering Grace.
3.     To SHARPEN one’s ability to relate to, learn from and work with people, including those of different cultures, personalities and perspectives.
4.     To further EQUIP each one to serve God’s purposes either in or outside of YWAM Family of Ministries, strengthening a commitment to reach the lost, especially the unreached, to care for the poor, and to influence all areas of society.
5.     To IMPART the vision and foundational values of Youth With A Mission International as well as that of the host operating location and to provide information regarding a variety of opportunities for service.”                                                                                                                         (http://ywamcambridge.com/#revival)

In addition to being in “class” and while in Cambridge, I will be spending the majority of my time spreading the Gospel through serving the community in the immediate area.  At the end of my six months in Cambridge, I will be sent out to put into practice all that I learned while attending the “lecture” part of the DTS. 

The location that I will be sent to has not yet been disclosed, and will probably not be disclosed until around December.  However, I was told that the YWAM base I am going to focuses on India, Africa, and China.  I will then live in one of those locations for three additional months, serving the Lord and His people there.  While in my assigned location, I will be living among and serving the community in a variety of different ways.  On previous outreaches, this has included hosting church camps (similar to a Vacation Bible School), assisting on building and repair projects, leading worship, and simply loving on and building relationships with people.

I will be living as a training missionary and will not have an income to pay for my living expenses.  And since living life costs money, here is where you all come in!

I am asking that you prayerfully consider supporting me through this next phase in my life.  I am in need of both financial and/or prayer support.  Any support you are able to give is much appreciated!  My financial needs will include airfare to get to England, my outreach location, and back home to the United States; the cost of housing and food while both in England and my outreach; my visa to live to live overseas; and finally, the vaccinations that I will need for going on outreach.  The total cost I am fundraising is around $10,000-$12,000. 

With that being said, any little bit helps!  If you are not able to give financially, your gift of time in prayer is also greatly appreciated. I ask that you may specifically be praying for: the funds to be provided; good health for myself and my team; and my relationship with God, that I will continue to turn to and trust in Him through this amazing, scary, crazy, stretching experience I have coming up.  Finally, and most importantly, for the people we will be reaching both in Cambridge and in the outreach. 

If you desire to give financially, donations may be sent to Grace Community Church, 327 E. Broad Street, Souderton, PA 18964.  In order for your donation to be tax deductible, checks should be written out to Grace Community Church with Cambridge, England in the memo line.  Grace will know that the donation is for my YWAM account.  (If my name is written on the memo line, the donation will not be tax deductible.)  If you feel more comfortable having my name associated with the donation, add a separate note with my name on it in the envelope.  Grace will keep my donations together until they are sent in to YWAM.  Thank you in advance for your consideration and prayers.

P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!  I would love to discuss the details with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment